Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops
FREE Standard Shipping for orders over $99
Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops
What is special about Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops?
Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops use Manuka Honey as the key ingredient to eliminate bacteria and reduce inflammation caused by dry eye syndrome. Manuka Honey is renowned for its healing properties and has been used for centuries by the indigenous people of Australia and New Zealand as a natural remedy for treating infections and wounds. Manuka Honey is special because it is created by bees feeding on the nectar of flowers from the Leptospermum tree, otherwise known as the Tea Tree which is native to Australia and New Zealand. This deep golden and highly viscous honey has antiviral and antibacterial properties that kill germs and bacteria. The Manuka Honey Drops act as a natural antimicrobial agent in the tear film of the eye, fighting bacteria, creating a healthy environment and eliminating the uncomfortable symptoms of dry eye disease.
How do I use Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops?
Add 1 drop inside the lower eyelid of each eye three times per day, in the morning, around lunch time and before bed. You should begin to feel relief from dry eye symptoms within 4-5 weeks.
Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops is one part of the 3-step DRYEYEKIT treatment. Dry eye symptoms will be further reduced by also using Blephadex Wipes and Hylo Forte Drops. The Blephadex Wipes help clean and remove the crusty build up around the Meibomian Glands, while the Hylo Forte drops are a preservative free drop to lubricate eyes throughout the day.What is the difference between Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops and Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Gel?
There are two strengths of Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye products available. The Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops have a lower concentration of Manuka Honey (165mg/g) and the Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Gel has a higher concentration of Manuka Honey (980mg/g).
The Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops are formulated for
- people suffering with mild to medium dry eye symptoms
- people who require treatment on the go through the day. The drops are more fluid and easy to apply as a drop straight from the bottle into the eye. These drops can be applied quickly and conveniently anywhere.
The Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Gel is formulated for
- people suffering with medium to severe dry eye symptoms
- people who are comfortable applying a more viscous gel into the eye. The gel is applied with a cotton tip along the inside of the lower eyelid. As the Optimel Gel is more viscous it feels thicker in the eye and takes a few minutes longer to dissolve into the tear film.
- people who are sensitive to preservatives. As the Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Gel is almost pure honey it does not include any preservatives and hence is ideal for people who require preservative free products.
- The Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Gel can be used to compliment the Optimel Drops - you may choose to use the drops in the morning and at lunch time and then apply the gel before bed to sleep in. However, people with severe dry eyes find using the gel 3 times per day provides the best results.
The most common cause of dry eyes is Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD). MGD represents approximately 80% of dry eye cases, and can present itself with symptoms of red, burning, scratchy and irritated eyes. The Meibomian glands are located on the lower and upper eyelids and primarily function to secrete oils into your tears. These oils are critical to maintaining the structure and integrity of tears over the cornea, keeping them moist and lubricated. Unfortunately your Meibomian glands are prone to infections by Staphylococcus which reduces functionality. The antibacterial Manuka dry eye drops act as a natural antibiotic to prevent bacteria from colonising in the eyelids and on the surface of the eye. This significantly improves tear evaporation, redness and inflammation, bacterial counts and tear film stability. The healing properties of the manuka honey creates a healthy tear film, whiter eyes and a comfortable moist feeling on the eyes surface.
The aggravating symptoms of Dry Eye Syndrome can be further reduced by using the Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops as part of a daily routine with the DRYEYEKIT 3-step treatment.
- Controlling bacteria with Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops
- Creating a healthy eye lid margin with Blephadex tea tree oil lid wipes
- Providing optimum lubrication with Hylo Forte, sodium hyaluronate drops
Please check out a study conducted with people suffering from dry eyes at Optometry Australia
What are the ingredients in Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops?
Leptospermum sp honey, Sodium Chloride and Benzoic Acid
The preservative used in the Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops is Benzoic Acid. This preservative is not commonly found in other eye drops and has been chosen because it is similar to a substance found naturally in honey. This preservative is also used in some food products and low ph drinks. However, people who are sensitive to preservatives may find it better to use the Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Gel which is almost pure manuka honey and therefore does not require any preservatives.
What precautions should I take in using Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops?
The Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops will cause your eyes to sting when applied. The stinging can be quite intense and last for several minutes. But patients report that they get used to this over time and it is a minor discomfort for the relief they experience from dry eye symptoms.
If you wear contact lenses it is recommended not to use the Optimel Manuka Honey Dry Eye Drops while you have your contact lenses in. Please allow 30 minutes before putting your contacts in.
For serious eye conditions please consult your eye health professional before use of this product. Please read instructions on the product box for further information on product use, ingredients, storage and side effects. If any adverse reactions occur, please cease use of the product immediately and contact your doctor or optometrist.
Not suitable for people with allergies to bees or bee products, food gums, benzoate preservatives or children under the age of 12 unless under the supervision of a doctor or optometrist.
Single person use only, replace cap after use, discard 2 months after opening. Before initial use ensure tamper ring is attached to base of cap.